What follows is a short essay on Ageism in society. Because it is a little longer than a normal post, it will be truncated part way down on the home page. Please click the "Read More" button at the bottom to read the full article. Also I have no idea why the font changes. Please bear with it...
Ageism is the most prolific kind of discrimination, period. I am hard pressed to think of a time in history when this was not the case. Most cultures have it hard wired into themselves to be ageist, that is, the treatment of someone of a certain age differently than someone of another age. Particularly in East Asian cultures, the elderly are revered at the expense of the young; in some other cultures the old are discarded as invaluable and a strain on society.
But the reality is, ageism is more important than ANY OTHER KIND OF DISCRIMINATION, mostly because it is so ingrained into the fabric of our society that it is never challenged and we never seem to talk about it. So let’s talk about it!
Now I understand that Ageism goes multiple ways, but I think there is a substantial argument that the main disadvantaged group with regard to age discrimination is those of young age. This is not to diminish the ageist struggles of the elderly, but I feel that young person discrimination is more often ignored. I write from the standpoint of a young person, so I can only argue what I know and have experienced.
Let’s start off with the basics.
It can be argued that some consideration should be given to age. There are three basic arguments which need to be understood when addressing the issue of ageism. They are as follows:
1) Physical Development/Special Needs: This argument is essentially sound. It acknowledges that humans of different levels of development need certain things, and that this can, for their own protection, infringe what would otherwise act as their rights. This is similar to creating separate sports teams for women and for men. Or making special accommodations for a pregnant woman. This recognizes common physical attributes beyond the control of the individual. For example, a toddler is not developed in the same way as an adult; and a toddler can't be expected to understand moral action or to know how best to protect him or herself. This results in the toddler not being afforded the same rights as an adult, like voting, for example. The same can be said for the elderly, although many rights remain intact far beyond the stage of second infancy (senility). Still, special consideration is given to the elderly with regard to their physical and mental abilities, often times they are “put up” in a home for their care. But the elderly still can vote, or run for office, so while we draw a line in the sand at 18 years of age for children, we do little of the same thing for adults.
Thus emerges a sub-question to this argument- the question of where to draw the line, exactly. 18? 16? 21? Essentially two requirements must be met by a child for that child to be considered an “adult” in theory: They have to have become socialized (comprehension of social moral systems, hierarchy systems, roles, consequences, etc) and they have to become aware of themselves as separate from their immediate family (developing independent values, separate self awareness, etc). The first requirement usually becomes fully developed between 15 and 20 in my experience. The second requirement is more varied, usually between the age of 10 and 25. Are there 13 year olds who are more “adult-like” than 23 year olds? Absolutely. But if we must choose an age where the overwhelming majority of children have “become” adults, 18 is probably as good as any, although there are reasonable arguments to be made for an ‘earlier’ number. 18 is, at least, about when most children graduate high school. Still we must remember that nothing special ‘happens’ to a child when they turn 18. Either they were already an “adult”, or they weren’t by our society’s reckoning.
2) Basic Assumptions: This argument develops out of certain prejudiced assumptions about different age groups, and many of these basic social assumptions about age are simply not challenged. Older people are wiser than younger people, at least until they're senile. Younger people are rash and act out of ignorance and stupidity. The foundation for these assumptions is tenuous at best. Even though it is true that many young people act rashly or out of ignorance, generalizations about the group are unfair. Just as it would be unfair to call all Black people poor. Or uneducated. Are many Blacks uneducated? Yes. Should you assume that any individual African American person is uneducated simply because of this fact? No. Is Black crime rate very high? Yes. Should you assume that every African American has or is committing a crime? Absolutely not. We all have the right to be free of these kinds of generalizations, which through grouping, takes away our essential individuality. And more importantly, we have a right to be free of legislation which at its core makes these basic assumptions. More on that in a second.
A sub-argument to this section is the argument about “maturity”. This attribute is somewhat intangible except that it has to do with “experience” which is attained through, well, getting older. Remember that contrary to the “olden days” young people are no less (and often more) educated than older people, they are given and take on responsibilities that are relatable, and they face hardships that are different but no less intense. To say that a young person must be “mature” in order to be given certain rights is essentially the same as saying that a young person must “grow in age” in order to access rights (this is what our laws do). But a young person has no control over their age. No more than anyone controls the color of their skin or sex. How is the discrimination different? Look at argument #3.
3) Entitlement: This is related to argument #2. Old people waited their turn for their rights, by working hard and “maturing” and whatnot. Therefore young people need to wait their turn too. Everyone gets a chance at their rights. This argument is patently false. There is absolutely no certainty that an 18 year old will EVER become a 35 year old. We could all die in a nuclear or biological holocaust before then. Or be a victim of an accident that disproportionately affects young people. The assumption that there is a certain future for any individual is unfair and untrue. You think the child who has a rare heart condition or born with HIV thinks it’s fair that they might never have a chance to be considered a completely equal human being under the law and in society’s eyes? Or have to wait their turn beyond the 18 year threshold?
-----
Arguments 2 and 3 are not convincing. The elimination of these arguments suggests the need also to eliminate any kind of age-based discrimination once “adulthood” has been established. So what am I getting at? Well, at age 18 there are still serious limits to adulthood. You can't drink, but you can be drafted. You can't rent a car but you can be given the death penalty. You can't run for office but you can vote.
That last one is the problem I find most disturbing. There are federal laws which prevent people of a certain age from running for office and representing the constituency of their own age group! You have to be 25 to run for House of Representatives, 30 to run for Senate, and 35 to run for President. This is pure discrimination based on age. And I’ve debunked any serious argument to be made to keep this kind of law in place! And there are complaints that young people aren't engaged in elections!
That last one is the problem I find most disturbing. There are federal laws which prevent people of a certain age from running for office and representing the constituency of their own age group! You have to be 25 to run for House of Representatives, 30 to run for Senate, and 35 to run for President. This is pure discrimination based on age. And I’ve debunked any serious argument to be made to keep this kind of law in place! And there are complaints that young people aren't engaged in elections!
But no one seems to talk about this blatant ageism. Why not? Because we've institutionalized it like racism (used to be, or is, depending on your perspective). Young people, even children, are taught that they are inferior to adults their entire lives. They have it drilled into their heads just as Blacks had it drilled into theirs in the American South or South Africa. Blacks are inferior to Whites. With persistence, many began to believe it. Women are inferior to men; they don’t need extra rights; they’re less intelligent. There were women’s groups which were rallying AGAINST the women’s rights movement. Many young people simply accept their tiered status. These analogies may be fatiguing, but they are important, because our society has recognized that not only do racism and sexism exist, but they must be addressed. We need to do the same thing about age.
Meanwhile the maturity argument continues to be invoked for the special privilege of the elderly. The elderly (65+) are the most active voting bloc in our electorate, and the system is stacked to favor them both in elections and politics, and by proximity, laws and life. But wait. Do you really think a half-senile 90 year old is more mature than most 15 year olds these days? Do you think the 90 year old is more educated? More prepared to take care of him or herself? More able to ascertain the needs of the nation and thus vote without ignorance? Not necessarily. But the 90 year old can run for office. And often can drive a car too. Without a provisional license…
And here’s the rub. The 90 year old is to be respected because of his or her maturity. Why?! Because he or she was lucky enough to have lived to the age of 90 instead of dying in a car crash at 27? Or 17!?
I’m not arguing for taking away rights of the elderly. But our ‘elders and betters’ are not better simple because they are older. There is nothing special about being old. Or middle aged. Everyone just is. If we can give a 90 year old rights, or a 45 year old, we should be able to give simple rights to an 18 year old, or an “adult” as society calls him or her.
For a moment, I’d like to return to another aspect of the question of maturity. Often I hear children and young people being told by those older than them; “you just simply don't ‘understand’, but you’ll ‘understand’ when they're older”. Personally I find this kind of social sentiment about maturity to be quite arrogant and demeaning. Our society did the same thing to "savage" humans when we were raping the American heartland of its native populations and culture. We told the natives: “You'll understand when you convert to our religion, convert to our monetary systems and philosophy. We think then you'll understand why we need to round you up and move you to Oklahoma.”
Again, I don’t make these analogies lightly. I understand that nothing can truly compare to some of the racist or culturalist sentiments of our past society, but I think one day we might look back on ageism as the same kind of outdated backward thinking that characterized these other kinds of events. We told the natives that they were so ignorant that they needed to be treated like children. Until we gave them a voice, and we finally came to understand the shortcomings of our own society. What if we gave children a voice too? What might we discover about ourselves?
Remember, not every manifestation of ageism is something that can be dealt with in changing laws. We need to change attitudes. We need to stop using age as a discriminating factor in our every day lives. We have to see past age, see past our assumptions, to the person within. Nothing a child says should be discounted just because he or she is a child; the same goes for any 'group'. But in the meantime, it's time to start a serious movement to demand lawful rights for young people. Full rights. We could start with the Inalienable Rights sadly not guaranteed by the Constitution because the constitution was unfortunately written and now maintained by age bigots. They may have had their reasons then. But there is no reason now. How about we respect all people, children included, regardless of their age? Respect all individuals, every one. And when you are ready to enter society as an adult? We truly acknowledge that adulthood. Maybe mail you a little packet that reads: “Congratulations, you’re 18! Here’s how to run for office. We want to hear your voice too.”
Very well written as always. Overall, I completely agree with you - but there are some things that I think need to be taken into consideration before committing to a pretty radical stance on transforming society.
ReplyDeleteFirst of all, the argument pertaining to the treatment of the younger demographic. Many people, myself included, may argue that wisdom is not explicitly a characteristic granted in old age and that it is a product of overall understanding and awareness - attained by expanding your world view, which can be exhibited even by the young. This is a great argument for those seeking equality in a legal society, however I think it's flawed. Ultimately, you would have to show that the large majority of young people are knowledgeable to the same degree of someone beyond their thirties. And there are many who are, but can you make the argument for the majority? I don't think so. Its not that we're not capable, I think its more so that our educational systems and social dynamics at an early age don't foster the values that are respected by the older. And because the majority of the population is aging - younger people get limited rights.
In our society knowledge is often closely tied to experience. For example 30 year old may have more experience then 20 year old, and that experience may stabilize at around the age of 30 - which I think is the generally accepted perception. Although this is extremely biased, especially for people like yourself who understand the limitations, there is a valid albeit flawed argument - being that the younger demographic has an overall limited world view and so cannot make decisions which take into account the gravity of the times. It's flawed because the knowledgeable-younger demographic suffers from the ageism produced by the majority of the younger-un-knowledgeable demographic, which you have to admit is sadly the majority.
Ultimately, I think if you want to tackle ageism you have to see beyond the limitations and attack perceptions. Like you mentioned earlier, the challenge seems to be in helping people to adopt a different attitude and world view focusing on equality. The problem is this perception can't just be attained. People are victims of culture and conditioning. So, in my opinion, something of tangible substance would have to be implemented such that people have no choice but to curb their perceptions based on an applied system. For example (and this is a crude example), perhaps a standardized competency test could be implemented that people of all ages have to take, young and old alike - in order to vote. And another test for government office and the presidency. We have to take them for university, why not for more important issues like the way our government is run? Age is now not a factor, instead we shift towards a system that is based on knowledge and merit. Biases between the young and old would be blurred and rights would be given to those that have shown they are "worthy" of making serious decisions and those that don't work for their rights can't complain. Instead they are given equal opportunity to better themselves or they have to accept the society that chosen for them. People who have shown they are capable by exhibiting characteristics such as not being easily swayed by propaganda and having at least a general knowledge of history would be emulated.
In my opinion, the constraints of society produce the constraints within society - and factors such as competing world views and age related values (produced by society) must be taken into consideration to make any real changes.
What do you think?
~Paul
It's something that needs to be addressed, which is why I'm ok with you sensationalizing it, but to be fair I really doubt in 200 years they'll look back at ageism they way they would racism or sexism. There are two main differences in my mind.
ReplyDeleteOne is that the vast majority of people in the western world do live to adulthood, and so it can't really be called discrimination in the same sense because it doesn't discriminate - everyone experiences it. (I say the western world because that, I assume, is where we have the resources to address it).
The second reason it doesn't compare to some other prejudices is the severity of the difference in treatment. While children aren't given the rights of adults, there isn't a long history of children being murdered, raped or enslaved just for being children. It happens of course, but it happens to any group of people sometimes. Not in the same way it happens based on race or gender or ethnicity.
And the main reason I have a problem with your superlative comparisons isn't on an objective basis as above, but more because as far as racism, sexism and ageism go, you've only experienced the short end of the stick on ageism. I just don't see it as fair for you do take only that experience and compare it against two you don't have subjective access to.
But as far as your recommended actions. Hell yeah. Let's see an 18-year-old running for office. If the public elects 'em, how are you going to argue they're not fit to govern?
P.S. That was me up there.
ReplyDelete-Thomas
I like these comments, we keep the discussion going.
ReplyDelete@Thomas. I will agree with your statement that I have experienced the short end of the stick with regard to ageism, but I have not with regard to racism, exactly. But I don't think that doesn't mean I can't make the comparisons. It's not my fault that I'm the skin color or sex that I am, but I make the comparisons to the best of my historical and societal knowledge. I think the comparisons ARE valid. Here's the thing. Children ARE raped because of ageism; people taking advantage of the trust/dependency structure of society to abuse children definitely happens. They are enslaved and even made into dependent soldiers, yes, just because people can take advantage of their childlike status. Children are routinely beaten or at least spanked/slapped etc. as well for their status and often for voicing their opinions. And where there are no physical attacks, children are constantly subject to the emotional trauma of "growing up" that comes from parents not treating them with respect, punishing them 'unfairly' and more. They are second class citizens in our society and I don't think this is different on a substantial scale than racism. Now does that mean that they need all the rights and privileges of adulthood? No. Do I think a severely mentally disabled person should have all the privileges of adulthood? No. It's for their own protection. But we need to figure out a way to respect children as human individuals trapped in the physical body of a child, even if that state is hopefully temporary. If the analogy of a mental disability (disability discrimination) helps you look at this differently than racism then perhaps I should have used that as an analogy instead, but I see all of these things in a similar light.
In this way I disagree that I am over-sensationalizing it. I think these comparisons are relatively useful and I do think that we'll find them to be, for the most part, closely scaled when looking at this issue from the 'future'.
The second piece that you point out, that most of us live to adulthood is a good reason that society probably won't address the issue, but it makes the issue EVEN MORE relevant as a result. Our society may live in the future, but like I've pointed out, just because most people live to see that future doesn't make it fair for the few who don't. This is a self-defeating argument because it presupposes something that doesn't necessarily exist- the 'future'. It also ignores discrimination going on now. Just because everyone endures discrimination for a short period of time, equally, doesn't mean that that short period is fair to keep in place, especially for those who, again, don't see a 'future'.
As far as laws go, glad we're in agreement, it's hard to find a valid reason not to change especially federal office regulations to make all "adults" equal under the law.
@Paul
ReplyDeleteThanks for saying so. : )
The maturity argument is closely tied to "accumulated knowledge" or "wisdom" if you like; that by living life there is an accumulation of life experiences that all help the person to become more able to understand the way in which the world works, make "better" life decisions and things like that. I addressed this issue perhaps too briefly in my maturity section and it needs to be expanded upon.
You are right, as it stands, an average middle aged adult will have more cumulative life experiences than an average young adult or child, but as one grows older, one loses sight of what I'd like to call "perspective". I look at it this way. A 45 year old knows more about being a 45 year old than an 18 year old. But an 18 year old knows more about being an 18 year old. Inevitably the 45 year old will lose "perspective" as he or she gets older, failing to allow him or her to remember accurately what it was like to be an 18 year old, and maybe even having significantly changed views from that time, "buying into" the ageist system. Part of this is, I think, is due to ageist social conditioning of which one inevitably becomes a part. And part of this is that the 45 year old is a different individual than his or her past 18 year old counterpart. Biologically he or she may have the same DNA, but the older individual is drawing from different life experiences to understand his or her life. Whether or not the life experiences being DIRECTLY drawn upon by the 45 year old are "more" than the 18 year old's is not entirely clear, since memories do fade and lose relevance with time. But even if there are more life experiences, any argument that suggests more "life experience" is to be valued over less "life experience" is ageist in nature because it values an attribute that young people have no control over and cannot acquire while they are young people.
@Paul Continued...
ReplyDeleteHowever, there is something to be said about life experience generally translating into "educatedness", as you point out. Are young people less worldly and academically knowledgeably than older adults? Although you see a clear correlation there; between age and education, I do not. It is true that a PHD is not something almost any young adult has acquired, simply by the basis that it takes so much time to acquire it. But having a PHD doesn't necessarily make one better prepared to do things like voting or running for office. I think if we take "adulthood" at 18, when almost the entire population has graduated high school and a proportion of the population is entering college, we have to remember that these young people are 'fresh' out of their education and many of them are closely connected to pursuing 'higher' education. I would make a reasonable argument that this demographic is more educated than a 30 or 40 year old who stopped their education in high school and has had some distance from it (which causes any of us to forget much of what we learned). Only 30% of adult Americans over 25 have completed 4 year college for example, so I think the remaining 70% balance out the older age group to make them overall about the same amount educated as young adults, on average. Perhaps even more important than all of this: who is to say that being "worldly" or "educated" is a good attribute to have, and how do you define these words? What types of education will do? What if someone's education in literature leaves them inept in political knowledge? ...And more educated than who, the average American? Fareed Zakaria? It's just hard to establish these kinds of baselines...
But even if young adults were to be called less educated or wise than older adults, it is not fair to prevent the few more "worldly" individuals of the young adult group from participating in the electoral process. You recognized this unfairness yourself: it would be similar to denying an entire race of people access to something simply because the majority weren't prepared for it.
@Paul Continued...
ReplyDeleteAnd although the exam argument would seek to fix that, this issue is exactly the problem with the exam-before-voting argument. It's been declared unconstitutional because of its similarity to what happened in Jim Crow South after Reconstruction. I understand the argument behind requiring a competency exam: there are a lot of WILLFULLY ignorant people out there who, by voting but not fully understanding, are allowing a certain breed of possibly dangerous candidates to be elected to office. But it is our right to be ignorant, all of us, sometimes sad as that is. And it's our right to value that ignorance in others, including candidates.
And meanwhile, who's to say what ignorance truly is? I couldn't fix a car, or point out the radiator, but I know where Kyrgyzstan is and I can draw a relatively solid political map of Europe freehand. While you and I might take the latter kind of intelligence over the former, someone else might prefer a close knowledge of the 4 Gospels. I think you see where I'm going with that.
Meanwhile I think the same standards should apply to candidates as well: if after the substantial vetting that a candidate receives from the press, he or she is elected, then there's not much more we can ask from the process. There's something to be said about that with the losses of weak and extreme candidates like Christine O'Donnell and Sharron Angle in the last cycle. We have to give even "ignorant" people some credit.
And finally, how would we deal with the people who don't have the resources, because of poverty, to get an education, even if they wanted one. I might propose a similar idea: perhaps we could require prospective voters to go take a class on the political system and world history before voting just like you would before being allowed to drive. ...As long as the government paid people for their time and made the class exceptionally available and publicized, providing transportation to and from etc., and safeguarded from partisan meddling, (all things I find unlikely to happen) it would amount to being unfair for those without the resources to take the time to attend such a class. You and I both know that it's not someone's "fault" that they languish in poverty, and we can't let that kind of thing count against people.
Short of a very very careful implementation of the idea above, I don't see how your exam system might work. And there are still reasonable questions about what constitutes relevant and up-to-date political knowledge. So while personally I find the exam system appealing, on a philosophical level I think it is too problematic and has too great a chance to create disenfranchisement.
Finally Paul, yes. We need to change age basic attitudes. What do you think are the best ways to start going about doing something like that? Discussions are a start, at least.
Our current society is obsessed with youth to such an extent that your anger almost makes no sense at all. The entire economy is focused on young peoples' buying habits, magazines are filled with images and "thoughts" of people just barely past the age of baby fat. There is no respect for wisdom, as evidenced by your crass line about "a half-senile 90 year old," which apparently you feel it is OK to make. Older people are not AUTOMATICALLY wise, of course, just as young people are not AUTOMATICALLY callow. But wisdom, which is different than education and knowledge, is acquired through interaction with the world and reflection on that interaction. And such interaction and reflection is cumulative.
ReplyDeleteThat said, I think we infantilize young people. They ought to be given real-life responsibilities much, much younger than they currently are. John Taylor Gatto writes about this in his books on education, and does a great job. So call for greater participation, and I am all for you; call for a diminishment of the respect for wisdom, and we part ways.
And stay off my lawn!